Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Real Santa



Here is the sketch I did of Santa for Joanna Johnston on the Polar Express, and also a photo of a bunch of the crew (I am in the red skirt) posing with Tom Hanks, in full costume, as Santa. He looked beautiful! It almost made you cry. The design was based on the same research that we did for the reindeer stuff (Santa was designed first, in fact), and we started in the sketch to keep him a little chubby. Joanna knew that the 'American' Santa is usually sort of round, and was afraid to scare people off by deviating from that (she is British, and they don't think of him as necessarily fat), but we were all glad when they decided to go with a Santa in the proportions of Chris Van Allsburg's Santa from the book. He is a noble, grand, figure, very fatherly, with a deep voice. Larger than life. My favorite in the film.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave James said...

Robin:

Wow! What a great experience. You did a great job on this project. I have one more Santa thing I'm working on....and then I will burnt on Santa.

Dave

14 December, 2005 10:21  
Blogger Robin Richesson said...

yeah, it took me forever to scan all this stuff, it was all too large and I had to do it in pieces. But it was kind of cathartic, too, because very few people ever see this stuff.

14 December, 2005 14:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home